Wall Sticker Application Guide
Wall stickers are a fast and fun way to decorate your walls, all you need once you receive your wall sticker is a pair of scissors, some masking tape and a hard flat object such as a credit card, driver’s license, ruler or one of our free squeegee’s provided with orders over £45. You may also want to check out some videos on YouTube too, it’s always easier to see a decal being applied than imagine it from written instructions.
If you’re applying a very large or complex design you may also want to use a spirit level or long ruler to ensure you’re all straight before you start.
The anatomy of a decal
Our wall transfers, or decals as they’re sometimes called will arrive in a postal tube, once you’ve removed it you will find it has 3 different layers, these are:
- The application film, this is a clear sticky film on top of the vinyl decal (Please don’t leave this on your wall)
- The vinyl decal itself – the bit you want to end up with on your wall
- The backing paper, this is a waxed coated paper underneath the vinyl decal
First steps - Preparation is Key
- Before you start please ensure the area you will be applying your sticker to is clean, dry and free from dust or particles of any kind. If needed - wipe the area with a slightly damp cloth and leave it to dry for an hour or two.
- Freshly painted walls must be left for at least 3-4 weeks to cure before fitting vinyl wall decals, please allow at least 5-6 weeks if the other side of the wall is external.
- If you’ve got a large design you may want to cut them out into separate pieces, this will make it easier to apply and gives you some creative freedom to arrange the sticker in a different layout to fit your area better. If your design is very large or has multiple colours – these will already be separated for you to position how you wish.
- If there are any bubbles or ripples that may have occurred during transit, please don’t worry as these won’t affect the application process – remember the clear sheet MUST be removed once the coloured vinyl is on your wall.
- Before starting the application process, you will need to roll out the sticker onto a large flat surface and apply firm pressure over the entire sticker, first on the font and then on the back. You can just use your hands but we recommend a hard flat object such as a credit card, ruler or a squeegee if you have one.
Important: PLEASE take your time when applying these decals, if you rush you increase the chance of making mistakes. Take your time, make sure everything is straight and in position with masking tape before you proceed past step 5.
The application process
- Position the sticker on your chosen wall or surface and tape each corner of the decal to the wall with masking tape.
- Apply a long strip of masking tape right across the middle of the decal – horizontally or vertically to your preference.
- Once you’ve secured the decal to the wall, remove the tape from two corners to release one of the sides from the wall.
- Now you can start to peel away the clear application film from the backing paper, ensuring that the vinyl sticker is stuck onto the clear film as you pull away. Keep pulling until you reach the middle where your masking tape is.
- Cut the backing paper (not the clear sheet) as close to the masking tape as possible.
- Use your flat object (credit card, ruler, etc) to apply the clear film and sticker to the wall, start from where the masking tape is and work from the middle slowly out towards the edge.
- Remove the masking tape from the middle of your decal and repeat steps 7-9 for the opposite half.
- Once the clear film is on the wall with your vinyl decal underneath it, go over the whole thing once more with your hard flat object, leave it for 5-10 minutes and then peel off the clear application film. Do this very slowly and ensure the vinyl decal is staying on the wall as the film is being removed, if any part of the sticker comes away from the wall, repress it back firmly with your hands and re-peel back the film at a sharper angle, use your finger nail if necessary on any particularly stubborn parts.
WARNING: PLEASE DON’T LEAVE THE CLEAR FILM ON THE WALL FOR MORE THAN 15 MINUTES AFTER APPLYING PRESSURE.
Removal of your wall sticker
When it comes to removing the sticker it should come off freely without a problem, but when removing from a painted surface you may need to use a hair dryer to minimise the risk of any paint coming away.